To ensure utmost crib safety for your babies, practice the following guidelines:
- No plastic coverings. Remove this immediately upon delivery of the crib mattress.
- Ensure that the crib mattress fits snugly and perfectly. It should be in the standard size – 27 1/4inches by 57 5/8inches – with a depth of at least 6 inches.
- Opt for a firm crib mattress rather than a really soft mattress as the latter is a hazard. Soft mattresses have the tendency to suffocate the infant or provide improper corner support, your baby may be trapped.
- There’s no need for a topper with a crib mattress. Again this is a safety hazard which can potentially suffocate babies.
- Use organic mattress if possible.
- In the same manner, use organic beddings.
- Babies shouldn’t be allowed to sleep on air mattress or waterbeds yet.
- Be aware of crib recalls or product recalls. These are usually published in the news.
Photo from CaliforniaSIDS